Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Color Blind or Color Brave?

      Hobson made me think about visibility in a new way: to not be color blind but color brave. This means changing the way I look at race and begin to change it by talking about it. I agree that race is a very touchy subject, it is something people don't feel comfortable talking about. After hearing Mellody Hobson's argument, I would like to approach race in a different way or at least not feel like I am stepping on egg shells when the topic is brought up. Her persuasive talk mentioned race and particularly about diversity in hiring makes for a better society. 
      My favorite quote of Hobson was "The first step to any form of action is awareness", I think this is really important for our society especially in youth's education. Race may not be something many educators would want to talk about in a classroom, but how about taking initiative and making it okay to be talked about it, as well as parents at home. I am sure if this would've been the case for my experience in my childhood years, I would be more comfortable like Hobson with the talk about race. I think the less it's being talked about, the more society will continue to add awkwardness and hide the truth about race in our world today.






3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your viewpoint. The way I see it is, the longer society continues to tip toe around the subject of race, the more we step back into the early 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awareness awareness awareness! Yes. SO important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Milena,

    I agree with you that educators, parents, and even youth workers should be taking the initiative to take on the discussion of race and not as you said, “walking on egg shells” about the topic. We should make our youth feel comfortable in their own skin.

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete