Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Assignment #1

Based on the reading in the article I just read, the following are the 7 characteristics of Youth Work:
- Educational Practice
- Social Practice
- Challenge inequality and work towards social justice
- Where possible, young people choose to be involved
- Seeks to strengthen the voice & influence of young people
- Youth work is a welfare practice
- Works with young people "holistically".

I enjoyed reading this article and agree with most of the characteristics mentioned above. I strongly believe a big part of Youth Work is educational and social practice. For some kids, our positive influence and special moments shared with them will be more valuable than for others. Communication is a huge factor when working with kids. Being aware of what we say and how we say things to youth is also something we must acknowledge. 

Words like empowerment, participation and engagement describes, how Youth Work strengthens the voice of young people. I agree that Youth Work seeks to strengthen the voice and influence of young people. I remember my early years in high school, my RI Crusade advisor always had a positive voice for latino's in my community. Years later, I can look back and remember him for always being a positive influence for myself and others. He made a huge difference in my education with letting my mother know of the programs I could join and always willing to help her out with any questions we had.

1 comment:

  1. Great connection! Your advisor is a great example of a role model for youth, you never forget them!

    ReplyDelete