Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Blog Post #2

      1. The article called "A World Where Youth Hold the Power", by Adeola A. Oredola was to show a different learning approach with youth and the effectiveness of it. Youth In Action started in 1997 by teenagers driven to build stronger communities by engaging their peers in arenas of influence that they are typically excluded from, including school reform, politics, media organizing, and community health. The key elements of Youth In Action are Youth and adults are growing together, to promote a new definition of youth and a space for youth to thrive and create change. I enjoyed reading how affective this approach is with youth in urban communities, like Providence.

      2.  The YIA approach to learning is very hands on, where they voice their opinions/thoughts about most things regular educators would not discuss with youth. My personal experience does resonate with YIA model by the strong communication they have with their mentors. Growing up in a city like Central Falls, I never felt connected with my teacher's, guidance counselors or administration. I do recall having a great relationship with my two RI Children's Crusade mentors from middle and high school. I think part of the reason was because they gained my trust and I felt a connection that I did not have with any other adults at school. Unlike YIA, their program goal was to have kids on track academically and guide them up until their high school graduations. Although, the program was sort of structured the mentors themselves came from rural school backgrounds and shared with me their education background. I felt a connection because they, like myself came from spanish speaking homes and shared similar backgrounds. Over a decade later today and my relationship with my crusade mentors still remains strong. I know I can call them for personal problems or school related questions if needed. I strongly believe as a youth worker it is up to YOU, to make that connection when working with youth. Establishing a strong relationship with youth can be more rewarding to some, than others. 

      3. The YIA models the notion of "with, not to.."? with their team tradition of "Plus Delta Hot Seat", where everyone has the opportunity to give and receive feedback on contributions to the team and areas for growth. It is great to hear that the director of youth programs took initiative and was hands on with the youth. More often you hear of missions and goals for programs, but rarely do you directors like Erroll Lomba, whom actually demonstrated and went first for the activity. I am sure with an activity like this, youth gained trust and comfort with the director being first to demonstrate how the activity would go.





1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you were never able to feel connected while at Central Falls especially with the guidance counselors. That is a field that I strive to be a part of, and that gives is why I strive to make that improvements with everything we've learned through YDEV =).

    ReplyDelete